Thursday, August 24, 2006

Final Day @ Meyer

My last day at work!!!

I can't wait to finish my term here at Meyer. Wow. 3 months. Today marks the end of my longest job up to date.

I suppose that since it's my last day here at Meyer, I should reflect on what it's been like here.

This has been a real blessing working here. Despite my previous post describing the vary "interesting" things about life at the factory, having had the chance to work here in HK has really been by the grace of God. To be a Canadian born Chinese, who doesn't speak a lot of Cantonese, nor has an HKID, and yet land a job in HK is pretty rare. It's really by God's grace that there have been people like uncle James who are willing to bring me in to teach me and let me grow.

They say experience counts...and even though I may not feel like I've "learned" a whole lot each day, I've learned a lot as a whole.

I've learned there are always problems, but the ability to find out the right problems and the right way to approach an issue may be just as important as the solution. I've learned that here in HK, the worklife really is as people say it is, long, hard, and overtime isn't out of the blue or additional pay to your salary. I've learned that simply discussing a problem outloud helps more than hours of contemplating and thinking alone.

I've solidified the notion that what you do in the real world really is gray compared to what school teaches you.

But this doesn't stop my "work" in Asia. Last night after dinner, I sat with my grandfather for a good 2 hours or so discussing about Kam Pin. We talked about management issues, about how to increase productivity, how to get workers, and about some of the issues and struggles he faces at work. So even though today's my last day, it's not the end of my work here.

On Monday I'm gonna go with my grandparents back up to China to visit the factory one last time. He wants me to write him a report explaining my observations and my suggestions on how the company can do better at the factory. It's kinda cool. Kinda like my first consulting-type project.

Well after today I've got only 6 more days left till I'm on a plane bound for home. And since I won't be here at Meyer anymore, it won't be as convenient as before to post on my blog, so here's an outline of what's goin' on these next couple days before I'm back:

Tonight:
Saturday: shop in the morning, then chill with Derek and Tianne, then co-lead at 180 at night
Sunday: attend Tung Fook Church with Casey, Leo, and Jay, then have lunch with uncle James one last time, then try to finish off a round of shopping, and maybe dinner with Derek Ma...i'm really hoping that i don't miss the chance to sit down and talk with him before i leave...i'd be real sad if i did.
Monday: hop in a car in the morning and head to china, tour the factory, discuss, maybe eat dinner at my uncle's restaurant, perhaps go out with Jonathan at night
Tuesday: more factory touring, perhaps play a round of golf with my grandfather, then hop on a train and come back to HK so i can finish off shopping
Wed: shopping, since I've yet to buy all the stuff that I need to get for myself and others...
Thurs: morning, maybe some very last minute shopping/packing...then at around noon head to the airport, hop on AC16 and head back home....



oh yea, one last thing...if u've reached this part of the blog, can you do me one thing. Pls pray for UTCCF. We need your prayers as hasn't been the easiest with me being so far away from the rest of the committee. And when I get back there'll be loads of things to do, so pray that I'd have the strength, wisdom, and guidance that only the Holy Spirit can provide to accomplish all that needs to be done. Thanks.

3 comments:

Mrs.Lau said...

congrats on finishing well :)

vinci said...

WAH SHOPPING GALORE hahaah oh mike, I'm glad you get to enjoy and spend time with people this coming week =) can't wait to hear stories when you come back!

sammi said...

Thanks Couz for the call =) I got your message... can't wait to see you when you get back! Sorry it's been pretty crazy lately... Jackie is leaving next weekend for Waterloo! We should all meet up before she leaves. Love you and will write you soon. =)

Sammi