Monday, August 21, 2006

Countdown: 4 more days of work...


Tuesday...almost half way through the week. Just four more days till I'm done my workterm at Meyer and I'm off to finish shopping, chatting with friends, and visiting China. I don't really know how to describe my work here at Meyer. Most of what I've been doing has been measuring and statistics work. I suppose it's the work and life of an Industrial Engineer. But as I think about it more and more and dive myself into more and more statistics...I'm beginning to discover in myself a deep understanding of, "I actually don't really like this kind of work too much." I mean sometimes the statistics are cool, sometimes it's interesting...but for the rest of my life? Probably not. I don't think remaining an engineer is really where my heart is at, nor is it what I'm really good at.

I've always told people, the reason I ended up doing engineering was because the Lord led me in this direction...but also because God gave me that ability to do math. I'm no genius, I don't have a passion for statistics or a yearning prove anything in particular (hahah unlike my buddy Mike Kim)...but I can do it. And I know it's not something that everybody has, an ability to think mathematically...and this isn't said to appear prideful or something as if I have something to boast about anyways. But if God has given you something that not everyone necessarily has, then wouldn't it be a waste to not spend your time and effort to develop to some degree of excellence. That was my reasoning for sticking with engineering.

But that's just something I can do...not something I'm great at. And here's where I begin launch off on a tangent...

I remember during first year, a guest lecturer came to UT to talk about leadership coaching. Out of his 30 min presentation, one line that caught my attention stated the idea that, "If you focus on developing what you're bad at, you only become mediocre. If you focus on developing what you're good at, you can become excellent."

Math and engineering isn't what I'm bad at, nor is really something I'm good at. I'm more than positive that this isnt' the area that I can become excellent in. But there are other things...other aspects, interests, that I know I can become excellent in...and I would rather give my time, energy, and life into those things so that I can be excellent in them, rather than spend my life building myself to be only mediocre.

Meyer and engineering, I feel is not where I can develop these aspects of myself. But this summer, I'm grateful that I could be productive and learn while staying in HK. It has been a blessing and I need to remember despite the lack of passion I have for this kind of work.

1 comment:

Mrs.Lau said...

i agree! :)