Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Week 6 Overseas

Wow, I can't believe it's already been 6 weeks since I've left Toronto for Hong Kong/China. It's flown by so fast. Come to think of it...i've only got like 10 weeks left before i head back home.

There's been a lot happening here. Everyday is so busy. It's a rare thing for me to just go home and rest afterwork, I have to make it intentional if I want to maintain my energy and retain my sanity.

Blogging hasn't been very consistent. I know. Thanks to all of you who keep checking n' tell me about it...encourages me to keep spending the time to do it. ;)

In a couple of days, I'll be moving to the 10th floor with my uncle. There's internet up there, so hopefully I'll be able to update more often.

But here's a quick update for now of what's been goin' on:

June 16, 2006:
KAT CAME BACK TO HK! I was so glad to see her back in Hong Kong. Actually last night she showed me some pictures of her trip. With each picture that she showed me, there was one thought that kept flashing through my mind, "I wish I was there." I think I'm beginning to shift...I think it's China that I'm craving to go to, and not just simply Hong Kong...we'll see where that goes.

After I picked her up at the airport, we went to pick up Will at Kowloon Tong station. We went to Auntie Cathy's place to drop off Will's stuff, then we went to a restaurant that served Macau food. While we were eating, I was telling them about all the cool stuff that you could try in Macau, when it dawned on me...why don't we go to Macau tomorrow?

June 17, 2006: Macau Trip
Early morning, wake up. I saw my grandparents on my way out to pick up some stuff from Niki. I took the bus straight to the ferry dock, but it took longer than expected. When we got on, the ferry was pretty shaky. The three of us felt a little uneasy from the boat ride, but we got out OK. After clearing customs and boarding a taxi, we went to the church that I served at last time I came here for missions. As we passed through the mountain and drove along the local roads, so many memories started to flash trough my mind.

The many nights we walked to by Chinese buns at this particular shop. Nights when we took the students out for drinks. The simplicity of living and serving.

It was really interesting when we went to the burial site of Robert Morrisson. Here lay a man who ventured out into what seemed like the unknown to bring the Good news to my people...you know, i think a lot of us Chinese Christians can probably trace back our roots to this man who decided to step out into China over 200 years ago. Pretty awesome.

With regards to what we did there, the whole day was mostly sight seeing. We went to St. Paul's ruins, the fortress on a hill, the black and white road...

it was pretty cool to see it all again...and to think it was two years ago when I came...whoa.


June 18, 2006: Father's Day
On Sunday Kat and I went to a dinner with my dad's side of the family. It was really cool, b/c now Kat's seen my entire family. We had a good time, Jonathan came back too. It was a rather large celebration: father's day, grandma's birthday, uncle Wilton's birthday...the day before when we went to Macau, I bought almond cookies as gifts, so I decided to pass them out to the Father's around the table as a gift. My little cousin was particularly jumpy that night too. It was cool, when she saw me she shot her arms up and asked me to give her a hug...then she held up fists to pretend to fight me...hahah...cute.


So that was my weekend...

This week has been rather tiring. Rest is a rare thing over here...so rare I have to schedule it into my schedule. It's so needed.

Last night was the first night of SCP (the summer college program). It was cool to start seeing it happen...we worshipped with music for a bit, then brainstormed some ideas. I really pray it'll be awesome this year. I remember standing at the back when Mark was leading the music, just praying that Derek's vision for students to go back to their campuses passion-filled for Christ would definitely happen. I want to see that too. It's awesome that I can be a part of it while I'm here.

2 comments:

Mrs.Lau said...

:)
yay for sabbath...hah

Derek said...

haha.. gummi has amazing perception.

and i can't help but feel your love china because of seeing pictures is not enough foundation to 'change' your heart.

and besides, HK IS CHINA.. hello?

can't wait to see ya again mike! and when are we going to hang?